I’m really excited about seeing this movie when it comes out. October 27th…
On a related note, I went to see Richard Dawkins tonight, the prominent evangelistic atheist/evolutionary biologist. It was a great experience and here are a few thoughts:
- He is a smart dude, and has the added bonus of a British accent, which automatically gives you 15 smart points. If it were a debate, we would need N.T. Wright or the late C.S. Lewis(for their accents) just so we could start out on the same smart level.
- I would bet my life savings that he has been extraordinarily hurt by a believer in God of some kind. But who am I kidding about that being a significant bet?
- On a few points where I really wanted to hear his response(such as irreducible complexity), he dodged the issue and instead simply talked very badly about people who believe in God. That was disappointing.
- I have never realized how much harm has been done by ignorant and arrogant Christians as much as I did tonight.
- Living and ministering in the Bible Belt, this issue isn’t always the most prominent thing we have to be concerned about. But I have never been more convinced that regardless Christians everywhere need to make studying this issue a priority and be able to support our arguments intelligibly. I have a new found desire and commitment to do so.
“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”
1 Peter 3.15